Friday, July 2, 2010

Lights out and a Girl's Day Out

I've had no electricity yesterday for a whole 3 hours. Frankly speaking, that's quite unheard of in Singapore. The last time we've had a major blackout was more than 20 years ago. It was fun back then, being really young it was kinda like an adventure for me. We would have lotsa candles in the house, it looked almost like a romantic cult house minus the shrilling voice of mom's.

Anyways back to life in Istanbul- It wasn't that much fun yesterday. I was lucky it happened in the morning right around 9am. I was watching the comedy channel and photoshopping my photo halfway when everything blinked for a second and shut off. There goes half an hour of beautifying myself (and deceiving others) on the computer (it was a passport photo meant for an updated cv!). I just looked around the house figuring what to do next. There wasn't much choice thus I curled down on the couch reading my book.

R called up and asked me for the umpteenth time whether I wanna join D, N and her for some 'manti' (Turkish dish - dumplings with garlic youghurt) in Moda and cuppa tea by the seaside. Not a bad idea except for the fact when I first met D and N (American and English girls respectively), it wasn't that much fun. I was bored to tears cos they were talking about stuff they were in tune about thus I was pretty hesitant to join this time. However with the blackout, I figured I've nothing much to do at home anyways so I said yes.

It was pretty nice surprisingly, I think everyone enjoyed themselves. There were lotsa laughters and sharing of distaster stories on our attempts to cook Turkish dishes and not to forget spoilt students here (we are all ESL teachers). Funnily all of them scored pretty well on teaching kids EXCEPT for yours truly. I rather do adults anytime, I don't know why kids just seem to hate me, maybe they have some sorta strong 6th sense and detect the vibe that the feeling is mutual.

N just casually mentioned the fact that she's just got engaged and we were like WHAT?! I think getting married is a big thing for most women (not me though!) and there she was just casually showing her ring so nonchalent about it. lol ...Apparently the dude hid the ring in a piece of napkin and put it in her bag and she saw it and said yes. Yes that was quite sweet wasn't it. How beautiful though a marriage of 2 different cultures (her fiance's a Turkish). I think the world needs more of it.

The weather was warm and humid but the girls were complaining it was darn hot and I was saying nah, it was pretty mild. D immediately drew the conclusion that I lacked of IRON in my body. HELLO??! I'm from Singapore, the heat was nothing compared to the average temperature back home! I'm sure the English can't say the same!

Now, I can't believe how it's already JULY 2010!!! I mean geez how time flies!!! I remembered back in high school, how I was always praying for the day to end but now, I just turned '2_' (not telling my specific age) and next thing I know, it'll be the end of the year and I should already make plan for my next birthday. R has the theory that time simply flies when one is enjoying his/herself.

Well, I should get cleaning. My private student will be coming over soon and the house is in a mess. I hope the 3 year old won't cry upon seeing me. Again. Really, what's up with me and kids?! I'll save it for another post. Till then enjoy!


xo;
V

No comments: