Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Classroom Chill

I was photocopying some handouts yesterday when my colleague, A, came over to say hi. She just finished her lesson she was supposed to substitute for. She told me something rather disturbing, something I fear for our young generation.

The 11 year olds she taught were supposed to write a report on err...murder. I know, I know, of all things, MURDER??!!! It was part of an exercise taken off the book they were using.

She told me the kids got quite 'creative' and started writing about limbs being cut off. She felt it was ok except for one. When the kid handed her his writing, he told her she was going to be angry with him. After reading, she realised why.

She wouldn't tell me the full contents of his writing but judging from the petrified look on her face and her saucer-like eyes I guessed it must have been over the top.

'Was it something sexual?' I asked her. She said she didn't wanna go into much details but the kid was talking about male castration in details. Oh my freaking gawd. I had a horrified look on my face too when she told me that.

She had a talk with him after that telling him it was't normal behaviour to be writing such sick, gory things. C'mon the kid is 11, he shouldn't be writing about such stuff!!! He clearly didnt put much thought on how SERIOUS the matter is.

All this exposion of sex and violence through the media is really doing major damage to young children. Movies like Saw in all its blood and gory don't help either. Sure there might be age restriction but one could easily buy them off some illegal dvd sellers on the streets!

Yes I worry about our younger generation, whether they'll grow up to be decent and uprıght ındıvıduals. I worry about how screwed up the world's turning into and how kids these days are not enjoying childhood full of candies and rainbows. They are losing their innocence at such a young age, they are exposed to this sick world prematurely thinking it's NORMAL. No, it's NOT normal.

If you have kids or are surrounded by kids, please do protect their innocence for the medias are certainly not giving a damn.

No comments: