Monday, March 8, 2010

Sick and FIRED

Last week I was EXTREMELY sick. I've been sick for quite some time, especially in this unpredictable weather. Nonetheless I still work like a dog cos no work = no money. I'm on an hourly wage here and there's no such thing as medical nor vacation leave. Yearly bonus??? NON EXISTENT.

I was really sick last week, especially on Tuesday. I felt like fainting literally but still dragged myself to class on Tuesday morning in O school. 3 hours felt so freaking long especially when I have to be bloody entertaining, energetic and forever on a roll in class. Schools and students don't really give a damn if ya sick - you are paid to perform and you are paid to do it well. Which is really understood, I mean I've never expected any form of compromise on my performance to deliver when it comes to work even when I'm sick... When I was in the design industry back in Singapore, sick or not, I have to make the deadlines- basically clients don't care even if ya working whilst on a drip. That's the working world alright.

Anyways back to the story, on that very Tuesday, I have another class in the evening with M.E College. It'll be my first day with them thus I did not want to call in sick. Though I was REALLY feeling like crap when I got home from my morning class, I still intend to teach in the evening. First day of work and calling in sick is definitely NOT a good thing.

However 2 hours before I was suppose to teach, my temperature rapidly shot up to 38.7degrees and by then I couldn't even sit straight. I was so freaking weak, I couldn't think and I was shivering non stop. I knew then it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to go for my evening class. E helped me up to go to the hospital and to call the school to inform them of the situation.

In the hospital, I was sent to the emergency ward and had to be put on a drip for hours.





I have no idea what liquid that is... looked like diluted urine huh? I suppose it's glucose... I don't know. I was too weak and just layed in the hospital bed, going in and out of consciousness.

To cut the story shot, M.E College decided they do not wish for me to return back to teaching the class that I was suppose to. They simply said they'll call me when they want me to come. To put it simply, I was fired. Nice.

Aah well... I guess health is far more important than work or rather money. I wish I can drill that in my head, I think my health got worse simply cos I continued to work, putting in the late hours and having the stress got to me. I guess I should be kinder to myself cos seriously, no one else will...

No comments: