Saturday, November 6, 2010

Happy Deepavali!!!

Today's Deepavali (as what's known in Singapore) or Diwali as according to my British Indian gf, R. We went to a lovely Indian restaurant with D and N. D's American and N's Russian. I love the fact that all of us, so different in culture and nationality got together to celebrate this day specially for R. We really wanted R to have a good Deepavali since she's away from her family. It's tough sometimes to be spending festive season without your loved ones.

It was an authentic Indian restaurant called Musafir in Taksim. A modest restaurant (though not so modest prices) with beautiful Indian setting, the place was simply charming. There was even a flat screen tv at the back playing Bollywood movies. I was surprised to see quite a number of Indians dining there as well, along with their Turkish or foreign friends. For the first time, I was in a place where there was a gathering of the Indian community in Istanbul. I thought that was lovely.

As we were heading to our table, a table of Indians said hi to R. R later told me one of the guys there got real chummy and flirty with her gf days ago. Well it wouldn't be a problem had it not been the fact that his FIANCEE was sitting next to him! Seriously I don't know why men have to be such asses sometimes! I did notice another girl at their table as she was not only exotically beautiful, she totally lit up the place with her gorgeous sari, looking breathtakingly ravishing.

We ordered Buttered Chicken, Lamb Briyani, Chicken Tikka Masaala, Buttered Rice, Garlic Naan and ermm... well I can't really remember the name, it was something like Appa-blahblah Pa-blahblah. It's like a gravy with spinach. The dishes were definitely NOT disappointing, it was heavenly and sits perfectly in your stomach. It felt so damn nice to be eating Asian cuisine again, certainly once in a blue moon kinda treat.

D and N went off after dinner cos D's married (boo!) and N has a really possessive Turkish bf (whom she really needs to dump) so R and I decided to roam around Taksim looking for a nice bar that played ENGLISH SONGS. Unfortunately though expectedly, we couldn't find any so we sat at some bar for a chat.

"Excuse me ladies...," I heard as the guy who was sitting at the table next to us approached our table. R and I just looked at each other with the 'Not again!' look. Seriously it's getting exhausting the way the local lads ALWAYS try to chat up foreign gals. "Would you... come sit... me, my friend table?" he continued.

"No, thank you," I said curtly. He smiled and apologised to us for disturbing. Fair enough, he wasn't pushy. R and I were chatting again though the night was wearing us out. It didn't help that the live band was belting out some depressing Turkish tunes.

After some time, out of the corner of my eyes, I could see the same lil bugger coming over again to our table.

"Err... where are you from?" he asked. If I could get a dollar everytime I had this question thrown at me, I'd be retired by now.

"Singapore and London," we answered, hardly any friendliness in our tone.

"Aaaah.." he said,"I asked cos you know.. I think you are.." and he started making a gesture with his hand like some dj spinning.

"And what is this???" I asked him, immitating his gesture exaggeratingly.

"Pardon, my English...not good. Like you know.. I look at you... like... I don't know how to say... different. Different nationality? That's why I come... and ask," he explained smiling. I nodded and continued talking to R, ignoring him. Again he apologised us for disturbing and retreated back to his seat.

As we got up to walk to the bar area to pay for our drinks, I heard his annoying voice again, "Ladies! Ladies!!! LAddddiesssss.." I paid no attention to it and just walked ahead.

While we were waiting for the barman to collect our money, guess whose face suddenly popped out of nowhere? Yes, HIM. Again. The one who apologised to us TWICE for DISTURBING us. I'm starting to think the apology didn't really mean a thing now!

He started talking again and this time, I didn't even wanna look at his direction, whatmore his face. I heard him asked if we wanna join him and his friend to another bar or club. R politely and firmly declined and he said sorry again for disturbing (!!!) and left. -.-

We were disturbed again by other local lads on our way back to the dolmus station and one of them pissed us off. He knew we were mad and he was like,"What, you girls angry? Why? Oh my gawd. You are sad girls." I really laughed my ass off. I don't know why but I thought it was funny.

Yes, we were the sad girls...

No comments: